Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mission

This semester, Stanford is trying an educational experiment by putting their Artificial Intelligence class entirely on-line (interest was so strong, they also added a Machine Learning and a Natural Language Processing class).  As an educator and AI person, I was naturally interested in the course and have joined the 58,000 or so other people to take the class.  Since I know the material pretty well, I'll be focusing on course structure and presentation style, to see what I can learn about teaching AI.  I will take all the tests and do all the homeworks because they are part of the entire package.

The class started yesterday and as I was watching the video, I realized I had things to say about the content, and thus, the creation of this blog.  Hopefully I will be able to keep this up through the whole semester.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, this is a real good idea, thanks for sharing. Can you post more information about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to your blog through your post on aiqus and I must say, I'm impressed. I look forward to reading your posts about upcoming lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Enrique, sure, I received my PhD in CS about 10 years ago from UCLA. I now teach at an undergraduate-only engineering focused school that has other special constraints (I hesitate to mention my employer directly because I suspect that they might require one of those "the opinions expressed are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of X or its parent institution Y" disclaimers on everything I say). The expectations of the quality of teaching here a very high.

    My research has focused on varieties of social learning amongst agents, although I've work on lots of different things such as robot dialog systems or mapping.

    ReplyDelete